Emma's Goat Cheese Tarts with Caramelized Red Onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sea salt
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14-ounce) box refrigerated pie crust or buy ready made tart shells at a speciality store
- You will need 1 (12-count) nonstick mini muffin tin
DirectionsIn a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the onions, sugar, and salt to taste. Cook until the onions begin to brown. Reduce heat to low and cook slowly, turning often, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and let them cool.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the goat cheese, egg, cream, in a bowl and Pour the mixture into a small resealable plastic food storage bag. Snip off a corner of the bag to use it for piping. Or use a pastry bag, which is what I use.
Lay the pie crusts out flat on a clean surface and with a 2"-round cutter cut out 12 circles from each crust. Press them into the cups of the mini-muffin tin. Fill each cup 1/2 way with the cooled onions. Pipe the cheese mixture on top of the onions, filling the cups. Bake the tarts until the filling is set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let the tarts cool slightly, and then remove them from the muffin tin and serve.